One of our most popular training selections at Fly Cape Town is the Basic Paragliding Course. In just two weeks, youll be transformed from a total beginner to a confident and competent pilot, licensed to fly at your own discretion at any Basic-graded site in South Africa.
Lets go over some basic info about the license youll receive after taking our course, and what it means for your future in paragliding.
Basic Licenses are issued by the South African Hang-Gliding and Paragliding Association (or SAHPA). The Civil Aviation Act requires all pilots participating in either of these sports to hold a SAHPA license no other entity is permitted to issue such certifications.
In order to receive your Basic License, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- 35 logged flights, each at least 60 seconds in duration
- One flight that exceeds 20 minutes in duration
- A total of 4 hours (or more) flight time
- Fly from at least two different launch sites
- Experience flight in light thermic conditions
- Pass a practical test of in-flight skills
- Score at least 85% in the written (open-book) exam
Final approval is also at the discretion of your Paragliding instructor.
How Our Course Works
At Fly Cape Town, well take you through a series of theory classes as well as all active flights required (again, a minimum of 35). These are designed to build your practical skills and ready you for the final written exam. Ridge soaring, top landings, and even the basics of thermalling will be introduced. All paragliding equipment is included in the cost of the course, from the glider youll train on, to your SAHPA manual and logbook. Please do note, though, that SAHPA requires a yearly license fee.
Students who complete the basic paragliding course successfully will not only receive their Basic License, but will also be fully prepared to soar high, far, and (most importantly) safe. So get out there any enjoy the sights our beautiful country has to offer though we hope youll stop by and fly with us again soon!
Latest posts by Stephan Kruger (see all)
- Paragliding Lions Head – How & When (part1) - 18th July 2013
- Paragliding Lions Head – How and When (part2) - 25th July 2013
- The trick of the week by Horacio Llorens – MacTwist to Heli - 31st July 2013